KOINONIA Greek Forum Login To Start Posting!
KOINONIA - Greek Forum
Profile | Active Topics | Latest Topics | Latest Replies | Popular
RSS Feed | Partners | Search | AFQ

» Forgot your Password?

All Communities
 History, Culture, Society
 Greece before Christ
 Lysistrata in English with notes and introduction
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Registration is closed. The Forum remains available only as a source of published information.

Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

AlexBell

Australia
7 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2014 :  19:47:08  

Good afternoon from Australia. This is my first post, and I hope I've got it in the right place.

The background to my request is that I am designing an ebook containing Aristophanes' three play about war - The Acharnions, Peace, and Lysistrata. The ebook will be posted on the MobileRead library and will be available for free.
I have texts for The Acharnions and Peace from Project Gutenberg, complete with introductions and footnotes, but their version of Lysistrata is the Norman Lindsay version.
This site has the Lysistrata text with Introduction and footnotes, but is not suitable for download.
- Does anyone know where I can get the English text of Lysistrata with Introduction and footnotes? I think the three versions were from the Athenian Society in London, but I haven't been able to find that.
- Or, is there a way to download the English version of Lysistrata on this site as a complete file?

Regards, Alex

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2014 :  23:45:23  

I may have it in my archives; I'll let you know if I find it. Regards.

Go to Top of Page

AlexBell

Australia
7 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2014 :  17:47:45  

Thanks, George. That would be most helpful.

I'll also have some questions about the text from time to time.

Go to Top of Page

AlexBell

Australia
7 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2014 :  01:43:14  

Good evening, George

Firstly, I should let you know that I've been able to find a source for the Athenian Society translation of Lysistrata, so you don't need to search for it.

Secondly, in that translation the dramatis personae includes POLYCHARIDES, but the character is not mentioned in the text and does not speak. Could you tell me please if the character is mentioned in the original Greek text? I'm thinking of deleting the name from the dramatis personae; do you think that would be appropriate?

Regards, Alex

Go to Top of Page

George

Greece
615 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2014 :  02:06:01  

You can safely delete it (and thanks for noticing it!). This is an epithet (meaning "dear"), it is mentioned indeed in the text, but it is not a personal name and character.

Go to Top of Page

AlexBell

Australia
7 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2014 :  03:29:28  

Thanks, George, that's most helpful. Of course my response is to ask another question.
In the English translation of Lysistrata one of the foot notes reads: [Greek: para prosdokian]; i.e. exactly the opposite of the word expected is used to conclude the sentence.
I'm not sure what that means. Is there an English term I could use to explain the meaning? What does para prosdokian mean?

Regards, Alex

Go to Top of Page

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Promote Greek Learning

Use Elpenor's Libraries and Greek Language departments to stimulate your thinking. To refer to a text there published, just copy its url and paste it in your post. ||| Get updates of all Ellopos sites by e-mail. ||| Download Shortcuts for easy access to the Communities - or drag this icon and drop it in the Links bar of your browser :ELPENOR

Learned Freeware

Reference address : https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/koinonia/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=609© Elpenor